St. Boniface Parish
St. Boniface Parish began in 1853 with the purchase of two lots on 10th Street between Main and Ferry, to serve the needs of German-speaking Catholics in the Lafayette area.
In 1865, the present church was constructed on the site of an old Indian burial ground on 9th Street between Ferry and North, just north-west of the original church. The Order of Friars Minor (Franciscan Fathers) of the Cincinnati Province assumed pastoral responsibilities for St. Boniface from 1875-1991.
In 1886, the original small church on 10th Street was remodeled and a second story was added to convert it into a school for girls. Parish expansion continued when a new school building for boys (the present Rectory), was established in 1883 next to the present church. In 1877, the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration of Olpe, Germany, assumed teaching responsibilities at St. Boniface School, a work they continue to this day.
The parish consists now of the second church building, dating to 1865, the rectory, the convent, St. Boniface School, and several historic buildings on North Street purchased for parish needs. With a present staff including three full-time priests, a priest “in residence,” and two permanent deacons, St. Boniface has witnessed many changes over its long history, evidence of its constant drive to serve Christ and His Church and to meet the changing needs of the parish.
Fr. Timothy Alkire
A son of St. Boniface parish, Fr. Alkire was ordained in 1985. In addition to his pastorate of St. Boniface, he is Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Lafayette Catholic Schools, and the Officialis of the Tribunal of the Diocese of Lafayette. Fr. Alkire believes the St. Michael Hymnal project has made an important contribution to the ongoing authentic renewal of the liturgy as envisioned by the Second Vatican Council.